Ugh, small talk. It means big work for most of us. I just found this great Fast Company article on small talk. Boiled down:
- Lower your expectations–no one is expecting too much from a short chat and you shouldn’t either!
- Have something to talk about–I try to enter a networking event with 5 conversational topics.
- Lead with a declaration–a very smart woman I know once wowed me at a networking event by starting her conversation with, “what is new at your library?”
- Then go for questions–ask open ended questions!
- Prepare for a lull–know your exit strategy for moving on to the next conversation.
What are your favorite tips for handling small talk?